As you know swimsuit season is just around the corner and I, like many other mommas out there, have been trying to get my butt back into shape. So, a couple of weeks ago I posted this image on my personal Facebook page with a small caption saying that I had lost 5 pounds in a week drinking my detox smoothies that my hubby makes me and who would have thought it would get so many comments… mostly “share please!!!!”
*some of the following links are affiliate links for your convenience*
>>>Para obtener instrucciones sobre cómo leer esto en español, haga clic aquí.<<<
But I just wasn’t quite ready to share the recipe because I needed to make sure it wasn’t just “water weight” and since I am not a health nutritionist, I felt a little hesitant… that being said, I ended up losing 8 pounds in just 2 weeks with those smoothies and people are still waiting so I thought I could finally say it does work and no it’s not water weight!
Plus they taste really good and are easy to throw together, AND they are made with things you already have in your pantry (no crazy trip to any expensive health food stores… another win in my book).
Since I do several different kinds, I plan on doing a series with different recipes and here is your first!
I will include the exact instructions I used to lose those 8 pounds. This was one of the first recipes we created.
The following will actually make 2 servings.
- 1 small tomato (approx. 5 oz)
- Cucumber (approx. 9 oz)
- Spinach (approx. 4 oz)
- 4 Medium Sized Strawberries (approx. 3 oz)
- 1 Medium Carrot (approx. 9 oz)
- Blackberries (approx. 3 oz)
- Blueberries (approx. 1 oz)
- 2 TSP raw agave* (1 tsp is added after each detox smoothie is blended. Just stir or shake it in)
In order to track consumption and calories better we use this food scale since it is inexpensive and measures in kilograms, pounds, grams and ounces.
- Divide all of the ingredients equally in half and blend in a blender. The Nutri-Bullet is what we use and it is great for this because it makes just the right amount for your serving. Plus the motor is strong and has a good bit of blending power and can be easily stored away.
2. Once blended the smoothie will be pretty thick so go ahead and add 1/4 cup of water to the mixture and blend some more. You can add the 1 tsp of raw agave here. (The goal is to not take the smoothie with agave, but if you have a diet high in sugar or carbohydrates, your body will crave the sugar and make you feel terrible at first. Adding a bit of raw agave can calm those cravings and make you feel better while you get used to the detox smoothies.)
3. Store in a 28 oz blender bottle: they are large enough and the mixer ball breaks up the detox smoothies as you drink, in case it thickens overnight if you prepare them for the following day, which is what we do. I like the one below and it comes in many different colors.
4. Drink the detox smoothie as a replacement meal for your breakfast and lunch. If you get hungry in between meals, eat a handful of almonds or 1 hard boiled egg to hold you over. Then eat dinner as normal, just a smaller portion than you normally would cause you don’t want to overeat and you want to get your stomach used to less food in it.
And that’s it!
By replacing my breakfast and lunch for 2 weeks straight I lost 8 pounds, didn’t get cranky because of the agave and my days were actually more productive because I already had made my detox smoothies the night before so I saved time by not having to prepare any meals.
Some nutritious facts:
We aren’t health nutritionists, but there are specific reasons why we chose the mix of fruits and veggies that we did. Here are some of them:
Blackberries – Their dark blue color ensures that blackberries have one of the highest antioxidant levels of all fruit according to this article. Antioxidants are also known for lowering the risk of some cancers.
Blueberries – They aid in weight loss because they are low in calories and rank low on the on the glycemic index. What does this mean? This means they take longer to digest which means they are absorbed slower by your body, which in turn helps cut cravings. More on that here.
Strawberries – They are full vitamins, fiber, and even more antioxidants. They are sodium free, have no fat and no cholesterol. Read more about them here.
Spinach – It is abundant in flavonoids which act as antioxidants to keep cholesterol from oxidizing in your body. It also contributes to your colon’s health and lowers blood pressure.
So there you go!
If you try this detox smoothie out, I would love to know what you think! Also, I would love it if you shared it with your friends! Just pin it to Pinterest!
Obviously, drinking the same detox smoothie will get old so I will be adding even more versions of my detox smoothies in the next couple of weeks so stay tuned…
Cheers to losing those extra pounds!
Let’s connect on social media!