How to Make Flan
Hello again! There are only 15 days left until Christmas… I have no idea where the time goes.
Can we please slow it down??? ??
The kids and I have been soaking up some Christmas cheer by watching Christmas movies. By the way, have you seen my Ultimate Christmas Movie List? I think it’s time I update it, but there are some goodies in there, like my all time favorite Christmas movie – National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation.
It never gets old. This is a holiday classic in my house and we look forward to watching it every year.
And what better way to watch a great Christmas movie than by sitting on the couch enjoying one of your favorite desserts. Mine is flan. Flan is a popular creamy custard dessert made throughout all of Latin America and there are many versions of it.
We usually eat this more during the holiday season, but you can honestly eat this any time of year.
There are lots of variations and you can add ingredients here and there as you wish, but I like to keep things simple.
But I truly believe I have the smoothest version of it… just sayin’!
So if you want to learn how to make flan, get your tastebuds ready because this dessert is super sweet!
You want to start by making your caramel. Melt sugar in a small sauce pan until it turns golden brown. Then coat the entire bottom of your pan. I used a round 9×9 pan. Be careful, it is hot!
Watch the detailed video instructions on my YouTube channel or at the end of this post. ⬇️
Next you want to combine all of your flan ingredients in a blender and blend about 45 seconds to 1 minute, just until everything is well mixed. Do NOT over mix. This will make the flan too dense.
Poor mixture into your pan. You will need to bake this in a water bath.
RELATED: The BEST Potato Casserole
Pour hot water into the bath after you pour the mixture.
Stick in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
Once you remove it from the oven. Give it a bit to sit on the counter and cool down before removing it. You still want it rather warm though when you do. Be sure to use a knife to “unstick” it from the sides. The caramel underneath acts as a barrier between the flan and the pan so it will come right out.
Let it cool some more before placing it into the fridge. You want to leave it at least 4 hours in the fridge or overnight so that it gets completely cold and then serve!
It’s so smooth and creamy!
The Creamiest Flan
- 2 baking dishes They must fit one inside the other.
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- You will need to start with the caramel. On medium heat, begin to melt the cup of sugar in a small pot until it turns a liquid brown. Continuously stir so that it doesn't burn.
- Once the caramel is done. Pour it all over the bottom of the smaller baking dish and make sure to spread it up the sides as best you can. It will start to harden once you pour it onto the pan surface so you must work fast. Use oven mitts as the pan will get really hot really fast.
For the Flan
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla in a blender. Blend all ingredients no more than a minute. That should be enough to combine everything.
- Pour mixture into the pan with the caramel. You will hear the caramel crack when you do this, that is okay.
- Put the pan in the larger pan and fill the larger pan with hot water.
- Place into the oven and bake for 1 hour.
- Once it's done. Remove from oven. Give a few minutes to rest.
- Use a butter knife to detach from the sides. Remove from the water bath and remove from pan by flipping a plate over the top and turning it over.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight and then enjoy.
I hope you give this a try and learn how to make flan with this super easy recipe. You will definitely enjoy this dessert!
Now off to watch me some Clark Griswold….
LOVE that movie! I don’t think I’ve ever tried flan, it looks delicious!
It’s my oldest daughter’s favorite dessert. It’s so simple and tastes so good. If you ever try I would love to hear what you think.
I love flan! I’ve never made it but always order it when I see it on a menu!
It’s so good and super easy to make! You should totally give it a shot!