We are moving forward with the dining room reveal!!!!! After we finished the chairs, it was on to paint the walls. I chose BIG CHILL by Glidden. It is a very light and cool blue that works well with all the white molding and in the space. I repainted all the trim, molding and chair rail. It needed it BAD and it was well worth it too because the room looked and smelled so clean and new. I was so happy we went ahead and painted it. A little warning though… I took these pictures back in December so my Christmas decor is still up. I could have taken new pictures, but they looked so puuuurrrrdy I had to share! I kept the mirror and clock since they went well with the deep rich color of the table. I put up curtain rods that I found at Ross for $11.99 each. SCORE! The curtains are from IKEA. They are the Lenda tie back curtains for $19.99/pair, I chose the khaki color.
I made a runner with the same fabric I reupholstered the chairs with. And I covered 2 of the six painted chairs with a little slipcover I sewed up. Why, you ask? Well, one of them had a hole in the caning (acquired during the move) and we hadn’t been able to repair or find someone to repair it just yet, so I figured I would make a little slip cover for the time being. I had to make 2 covers so it would look like it was meant to be that way…. See how I did that? I may even make more for the rest later on. Who knows?!
I have a pretty long dining room so I wanted an 8 setting table. The plan is to eventually have 2 large white wing back chairs at each end, but I haven’t found the right ones for the right price just yet AND since I was hosting my very own first Christmas dinner party I needed 2 more ASAP so we went to IKEA and bought 2 Henriksdal chairs with the long slip covers.
I even sewed 2 little pillows with some discount fabric I found at Hobby Lobby for $13.00. I totally love how they came out. Tutorial to follow! They were so easy too and I’m proud to say I did them all on my own.
The chargers, I got at Dollar Tree for $1.00 each and the linen “place mats” are actually linen square napkins that my mom didn’t want anymore and I carefully tucked them under the runner to make them look rectangular. It worked!
I made custom art to go above the little buffet table (you can see how I made the chalkboard serving dish here). I had some leftover fabric and bought some navy blue acrylic paint for it. I already had the fabric medium and the frames I got from Goodwill for $1.51 each. Booyah! Tutorial will follow as well.
I still have more to do. I already added gorgeous sconces on either side of the mirror. I also have to paint the china cabinet I bought with the chairs and add that to the room. I also need to work on the buffet table a little bit and change how it’s decorated. It never ends!
In case you haven’t seen what it used to look like before, here is a refresher. You can read more about it here.